Using Mixed Reality to Meet Demand for Spike Orders
Using MR and the HoloLens 2 to Save Time
Habco Industries, a large Aerospace engine tooling and logistics/warehousing company, uses a custom application with the HoloLens 2 and Mixed Reality to accurately stencil labels and warnings on parts. This application allows them to save over 200 hours when fulfilling rush spike orders.
Our client is a large Aerospace company which provides engine and airframe tooling and logistics/warehousing for their customers. One of the steps in manufacturing these parts is stenciling the proper labels and warnings. This is a time intensive process which slows down the production line, especially when trying to deliver high volume orders in a tight timeframe. To reduce the time required for stenciling large orders, our customer used a custom Mixed Reality (MR) application on the HoloLens 2.
When evaluating the solution requirements for the client, several challenges emerged related to existing processes:
- Proper placement of the stencil is time intensive and tedious, requiring multiple measurements and alignments before proceeding
- Each placement requires multiple quality checks for measurements and location
- Stencil placements are part specific, with each part requiring numerous stencils in different locations
- Stencil alignment cannot be uneven
- There are many points for human error
Based on thorough analysis and client input, SphereGen designed a custom MR application using the HoloLens 2. Key elements of the solutions are:
- The application uses QR codes to determine where to anchor the graphics to be stenciled.
- Operators are led step by step through instructions about initiating the process and how to proceed with each step of the stenciling
- All steps of the process are clearly documented in an SOP including tips and techniques for orienting the HoloLens and resetting anchors if necessary
- Controls are provided via UI buttons and voice commands to:
- Initiate the Anchoring process
- Reveal / Hide Holographic content
- Customize alignment if necessary
- Align Hologram with gravity
- Go to the next step of the stenciling process
- Exit the application
As a privately-held small business, we understand the goals, needs, and challenges of organizations your size. SphereGen leverages 10+ years of experience to find the ‘best technology fit’ for clients whether you build, buy or customize software and services.