Using Oracle to connect disparate systems results in better business flow for large Medical School
SphereGen Case Study
St. George’s University
Client is a large medical school.
The system interfaced to existing Oracle scheduling and grading systems, allowing disparate systems that had grown over time to integrate for a better business flow. The Oracle infrastructure provided a scalable base as the University grew with student population.
Manual Clerkship Management process which includes data management and tracking of rotation requirements and schedules for over a thousand students.
For each student, the following needs to be determined and tracked regarding student requirements:
- Completion status of the requirements versus the expected timeframe
- Based on the completed requirements, which rotations are still needed
- What hospitals have available openings to match the needed rotations per student
- All data was managed manually using spreadsheets
- Complex functionality required multiple staff to maintain
- University growth was painful as inefficient systems caused staffing increases and more confusion
- Existing communication between the administration and the student about rotation matches and fulfilling requirements was limited due to the shortage of staff
SphereGen created and deployed a web-based scheduling system using Oracle infrastructure. All players including students, staff
Registrar, Finance, Clinical Coordinators, and the hospitals had appropriate access to the data they needed in order to track rotation requirements, match rotation schedules, track payments/financial aid/contracts, and communicate about the decisions made.
This system also interfaced to existing Oracle scheduling and grading systems, allowing disparate systems that had grown over time to integrate for a better business flow. The Oracle infrastructure provides a scalable base as the University grows with an increasing student population.
With an online Clerkship Management system, the university can grow and accommodate more students, without having to increase the staff level to manage the students’ schedules. Scheduling is completed more efficiently and effectively as all data is managed online and accessible by multiple players. The students and the hospitals undergo a positive experience scheduling a rotation, reducing the stress level for students in the process.
“I have been blessed to develop multiple software products with SphereGen over the past 4 years. They are knowledgeable, talented and highly efficient! I highly recommend them!”
-Christopher Magnifico, SGU
- ASP.net MVC Architecture
- MS SQL
- Azure MS Server
As a privately-held small business, we understand the goals, needs, and challenges of organizations your size. SphereGen leverages 10+ years of experience to find the ‘best technology fit’ for clients whether you build, buy or customize software and services.