With the success of the HoloLens 2 in 2019 and the feedback it received, it became clear that industries needed a solution that was viable for highly controlled environments like clean rooms.
The HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition is designed to solve challenges for industrial customers in cleanroom environments and assist with operational safety in those environments. It is designed and tested for cleanroom compliance, intrinsic safety certifications, and backed by an even more robust support program than the standard HoloLens 2 device.
HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition meets particle standards for ISO 14644-1 Class 5 clean rooms and is UL Class I, Division 2 certified.
Why is there a separate version of HoloLens 2 for industrial clean rooms?
- Clean rooms are used in many industries where the presence of small particles can adversely affect the manufacturing process. In simple terms, this means that cleanroom environments are held to a higher cleanliness standard and include the use of specialized protective gear, HVAC systems, and work processes.
- The HoloLens 2 industrial edition is made in a separate production process and is made with different materials. This is important in environments where the quantity of foreign particles is limited and restricted, and objects in these spaces have limits on shedding, outgassing, and contaminant retention.
What clean room environments does the HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition support?
- HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition supports regulated environments that have rigorous requirements and meets particle emissions standards for ISO 14644-1 Class 5 clean rooms.
- For more information, please read more on ISO standard 14644-1 (Airborne Particulate Cleanliness Classes in Cleanrooms and Clean Zones).
Does HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition meet requirements for intrinsic safety?
- The HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition is certified for use in UL Class I, Division 2-Groups A, B, C, and D HAZLOC environments where flammable gases, vapors, or liquids may exist.
- For more information read about UL certifications.
Can the device be used in Semiconductor and Pharmaceutical production environments?
- Yes. The HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition was designed with these environmental considerations in mind.
Is this device HIPAA Compliant?
- HIPAA compliance is not device-dependent and results from following a set of regulations and creating internal policies that aid in protecting individuals’ healthcare information and privacy.
- The HoloLens 2 and its’ Industrial version require a Microsoft account with secure sign-on enabled in order to be used. If you are concerned about how the HoloLens 2 and the HoloLens 2 Industrial version may integrate into your HIPAA compliant organization, please review our How HoloLens 2 Approaches Security and HoloLens 2 Security FAQ blogs.
What is the HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition warranty?
- The HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition features a 2-year warranty and a Rapid Replacement Program. Visit this page to find HoloLens warranty information.
What’s the Rapid Replacement Program?
- In addition to the 2-year warranty, HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition includes the Rapid Replacement Program enabling customers to receive a replacement device overnight or expedited shipping (faster of the available options) before a defective device is received by Microsoft. To start a replacement please contact Microsoft Support. Note: Support will need a clear description of any defect, and to confirm the device cannot be recovered to a working state before it is replaced.
Can I purchase replacement parts for the HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition?
- Replacement parts and refurbishments are not supported for the HoloLens 2 Industrial Edition. If you find yourself in need of a replacement, use the Microsoft Rapid Replacement Program.
Is the Carrying case clean room approved?
- The carrying case is made of a porous material and should not be used in cleanrooms.
Can I upgrade my HoloLens 2 to an industrial edition?
- No. Since the HoloLens 2 industrial edition is made in a separate manufacturing process and with different materials, there is no way to upgrade an existing HoloLens 2 headset to an industrial version.
|Display||Optics: See-through holographic lenses (waveguides)
Resolution: 2k 3:2 light engines
Holographic density: >2.5k radiants (light points per radian)
Eye-based rendering: Display optimization for 3D eye position
|Sensors||Head tracking: 4 visible light cameras
Eye tracking: 2 IR cameras
Depth: 1-MP Time-of-Flight (ToF) depth sensor
IMU: Accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer
Camera: 8-MP stills, 1080p30 video
|Audio and speech||Microphone array: 5 channels
Speakers: Built-in spatial sound
|Human understanding||Hand tracking: Two-handed fully articulated model, direct manipulation
Eye tracking: Real-time tracking
Voice: Command and control on-device; natural language with internet connectivity
Windows Hello: Enterprise-grade security with iris recognition
|Environment understanding||6DoF tracking: World-scale positional tracking
Spatial Mapping: Real-time environment mesh
Mixed Reality Capture: Mixed hologram and physical environment photos and videos
|Compute and connectivity||SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 Compute Platform
HPU: Second-generation custom-built holographic processing unit
Memory: 4-GB LPDDR4x system DRAM
Storage: 64-GB UFS 2.1
WiFi: Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac 2×2)
USB: USB Type-C
Fits over glasses
|Software||Windows Holographic Operating System
Dynamics 365 Remote Assist
Dynamics 365 Guides
|Power||Battery life: 2–3 hours of active use
Charging: USB-PD for fast charging
Cooling: Passive (no fans)
Contains lithium batteries: See more information