The HoloLens 2 was introduced in 2019, but we still get a lot of questions about how to use the device and what features are included. Below, find some frequently asked questions (FAQ) we receive about the Hololens 2.
Last updated 3/24/2021
Using the HoloLens 2
Is the HoloLens 2 adjustable?
The headset is adjustable. Both the visor and the strap that keeps the headset anchored to your head can be adjusted to fit a variety of shapes and sizes so that each user can find their most comfortable setting.
Can you wear glasses or contacts with the HoloLens 2?
- You can use the HoloLens 2 with contacts and glasses on, however if you ever change between using contacts and glasses you will need to recalibrate the headset each time.
- Additionally, the device does not work well for people who wear bifocal or trifocal lenses. It is recommended that, whenever possible, users with glasses or contacts use single-strength lenses.
How do I charge the HoloLens 2?
USB plug. You can plug it into a computer or into a wall charger.
How do you sanitize the HoloLens 2?
Using a microfiber cloth or sanitizing wipe, gently go over the lenses of the device. Make sure when cleaning the lenses that there are no coarse particles between the lens and the cleaning wipe.
A detailed cleaning guide can be found here
Can you use voice commands?
- Yes, voice commands are available for use on the HoloLens 2.
- There are a number of voice commands, some of the more useful commands being; “Go to Start”, “Close”, and “Select”.
- You can find the full list of voice commands here
Can you use the HoloLens 2 outside?
You can use the headset outside, but in direct bright light, the quality of the holograms degrades. Additionally, it is not recommended to leave the headset in direct sunlight for long periods of time.
How do I use the HoloLens 2 in a loud environment (i.e. manufacturing shop floor)
The headset does not inhibit vision or hearing. If you need to hear something through the headset in a loud environment, wireless or wired headphones can be paired with the headset.
What is the battery life of the HoloLens 2?
Average in use battery life is approximately 2-3 hours.
Is the HoloLens 2 completely self-contained?
Yes, The headset is wireless and can connect wirelessly to the internet. It does not need a computer to download applications or to be powered. The headset does need to be charged and has a usable battery life of about 2-3 hours.
Does the HoloLens 2 track Inter-pupil distance (IPD)?
Yes, Inter-pupil distance or eye tracking is incorporated into the HoloLens 2
Does the HoloLens 2 come with any applications?
- Windows Holographic OS
- 3D Viewer
- Remote Assist (requires an account or license to fully activate)
- Guides (requires an account or license to fully activate)
- One Drive (requires an account or license to fully activate)
Can I connect other devices to the Hololens 2?
Yes, you can connect both USB-C and Bluetooth enabled devices to the Hololens 2.
Supported Bluetooth device classes
- Bluetooth audio output (A2DP) devices
Supported USB-C device classes
- Mass storage devices (such as thumb drives)
- Ethernet adapters (including ethernet plus charging)
- USB-C-to-3.5mm digital audio adapters
- USB-C digital audio headsets (including headset adapters plus charging)
- Wired mouse
- Wired keyboard
- Combination PD hubs (USB A plus PD charging)
Additional USB-C and Bluetooth documentation can be found here
Do I need controllers?
Your hands are your controllers, and the user interactions (hand motions) are very intuitive. Hand tracking has come a long way but does take a little practice to get used to interacting with holograms that have no mass.
What is the field of view on the HoloLens 2?
The field of view is 52 degrees.
How can I extend the battery life?
- Putting the device in sleep mode.
- Not over charging the device (leaving it charging overnight)
What is incorporated into the Hololens 2?
- RGB Camera
- 2 depth cameras
- Noise cancelling microphone
- Tightness adjuster
- Headphone port
What are the HoloLens 2 internet requirements?
The headset itself does not need an internet connection in order to operate. For applications that require an internet connection, requirements will vary, but typically the minimum is 1.5Mb/s upload/download but it is recommended you have a connection speed of at least 5Mb/s
As a Microsoft Gold App Dev and Silver Mixed Reality partner SphereGen is an expert in understanding and supporting Microsoft HoloLens technology. As an international company with customers in industries such as Healthcare, Manufacturing, and Education, SphereGen is uniquely positioned to develop unique solutions to our customers’ business problems. Through fierce collaboration, SphereGen seeks to deliver the highest quality solutions and support. If you are interested in a consultation or information regarding HoloLens 2 or Remote Assist, please contact us!